Sleep & Rest According to TCM
Sleep is a very important part of everybody's day and contributes to their overall health. There is not a day that goes by, that sleep quality and quantity is not mentioned in Northwood Clinic Lane Cove. So here is some tips.
Signs of not enough sleep/rest
* mood swings
* poor concentration
* poor memory
* over eating/ hunger
Chinese Medicine Advice on Sleep
* 7 hours sleep (quality non waking sleep)
* 10.30pm latest time to sleep, because from 11pm to 1am is when your body (especially your liver) re-calibrates and repairs itself, and it can only happen when you're in deep sleep. Your hormones levels also will thank you for this!
How to Encourage a Good Nights Sleep Tips
1. Swop your daily coffees for herbal teas. Try a caffeine break for at least 2 weeks and note any changes. Reduced anxiety and fatigue and better sleep quality may ensue.
2. Dress or cover yourself warmly in the evening in cooler weather.
3.Before bed, try a warm foot bath or bath with magnesium salts.
4. Exercise daily. At least 30 minutes a day of movement will help move Qi or energy stagnation that may accumulate over the day, especially if you sit at a desk for most of your day.
Try Qigong, Tai Chi, with specific movements and breathing techniques designed to move Qi and energy that accumulates in the body, help your general vitality, and assists sleep.
5. Avoid alcohol, chocolate, caffeine, and eating stimulating foods such as chillies before bed. Try gentle nourishing steamed foods and soups which are easy on the digestion. Try not to eat at least 2-4 hours prior to sleeping
6. Meditation. Before you sleep for 2-10 minutes before bedtime every night. Try daily meditation.
7. Acupuncture. If you are a regular with Acupuncture, you know that relaxed feeling and usual good nights sleep after your treatment :)
Hope You're Well